The last 365 plus has been a whirlwind experience of emotions. We’ve been through some amazing highs and some depth of despair lows but…we made it. I keep saying we made it because I was worried if we would be able to keep a living breathing human alive. But I’m so thankful and appreciative to all this past year has brought and taught me.
- I’m thankful for my family. Not just the family I was born into but close friends who have become family. I’m thankful for the people in our lives that see us in our entirety— the ones that take the time to understand and listen.
- Specifically I’m thankful for my wife. Parenting is hard work and still being able to survive as BFFs and cohesive parents when you don’t always agree is hard. Keeping your cool so you don’t say anything super hurtful is harder. Being able to be adults about situations and still emerging as a unit is why I’m thankful.
- I’m thankful for having the opportunity to raise a dynamic and full of fire daughter. She has added such an extra dimension to my life pre-father Bertram is starting to seem like a distant memory.
- I’m thankful for the gift of adoption. There are birth parents who decided that they would give us the ultimate gift. They performed one of the most selfless acts imaginable and because of that we were able to expand our family.
- I’m thankful for hip-hop. Seriously. Every year I listen to “Illmatic” and just vibe and zone. This year I will throw in “The Low End Theory” since I listen to that more since MiMo arrived.
- I’m thankful for Sesame Street — thank you for helping us teach our daughter acceptance of differences in a world that is ever growing more segmented. Acknowledging differences and appreciating the color that life presents is what makes it special.
There are more things but it’s Thanksgiving and you are a) reading this on the throne and almost finished b) about to enter a food coma so your attention span is………zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz