I wanted to close the year and gather my thoughts for the year to come. Most importantly I wanted to exhale and take a minute to really enjoy the holiday. I lessened my social media prescience, I read and listened more, I didn’t engage and unleash a tirade on Trump supporters — I just chilled. By chilling it gave me some perspective on things I wanted to change or improve on. These aren’t resolutions, these are upgrades.
- I don’t care about things that don’t directly affect me or my loved ones. I can’t fake care about manufacturing jobs in the Midwest. 90% of my friends represent Customer Service, The Arts (various mediums), Tech (in some aspect), or Sales. While manufacturing may down the road affect my friends in sales –not really a concern for me. You work in a coal mine? Don’t really care. Sorry not sorry. You know how wypipo don’t care about police violence unless it’s a cop getting shot and not an unarmed Black man. I don’t care about coal mining jobs because it’s terrible for the environment. Please bring on the renewable energy jobs.
- Credit to Sway for this “Stop trying to convince folks to see logic the way I do”. If we can’t agree to logical thought then I’m not having this conversation with you. You are coming from an intellectually dishonest place. You don’t want to hear my opinion or my thoughts you want to do everything you can to discredit it.
- I’m going to put my phone down. When I’m with my family I’m going to put my phone down. I’ll probably go as far as turning off notifications from social media so I’m not tempted to constantly check for likes and comments. Plus the science is starting to come in that excessive social media effects the brain. Very few things are that important where it should take away from the time I’m spending with my family. There are many of other opportunities to catch up on SM.
- Read More. While I read more than I give myself credit for but I want to read more books this year. I read a ton of online articles but I need to read more books. That’s not to say I haven’t bought books that I need to read.
- Take better care of myself. I think that’s normally everyone’s New Year’s Resolution but my approach will be more nuanced. I need to take better care of myself physically, mentally, spiritually and emotionally. I need to continue to eliminate toxic relationships and habits. I need to communicate better moreover communicate more. I have more ways to communicate with people than ever and I still hardly speak with them. No beuno.
- Stand for something. Fight for that something. Spend time (in the real world) fighting for that something. I have various passions but I realize that screaming in a Facebook post isn’t really ‘supporting’ that cause. While sharing an article is helpful but I need to do more. I need to make sure Mila understands what it means to really fight for a cause that you believe in.
- Write and write for profit. I want to continue to expand the reach of this blog and continue to work on this book that I’ve had in my head. I want to make it profitable and I will work on a game plan to accomplish this. I need to work on time management so I’m able to work on my writing and still be a great father and husband.
- Maintain and Improve relationships (Eliminating Toxic ones — Addition by subtraction). Some of my friends lost people very close to them in 2016 and it’s given me perspective. This also led me to 1, 3 and 5. I have relationships that I don’t nurture the way I should. I like to claim that I am busy but am I? Am I really that busy where I can’t send a text, FB message, smoke signal to someone I claim to care about or even love to see how they are doing. Not really.
- I will finish Final Fantasy XV and Arkham Asylum. Both of those games are amazing and beautiful to play I just don’t give them the attention they deserve. I love both games but instead of playing them I opt for quick hitters such as Madden or NBA1K17.
I don’t consider these resolutions as these are all works in progress. This will be another year of growth. Last year felt like a holding pattern as I was treading water between fatherhood/spouse and work. This year will be a year of flight — to quote N.E.R.D. “Fly or Die”.